- Healthy plant pre-potted with organic fertilizer
◦ Plant size: 8″-12″ tall (including pot)
- Plastic pot
◦ Pot size: 11 cm in diameter
Calathea Lancifolia, Rattlesnake Plant
Low / Partial / Bright indirect light
You might get a shock if you see this plant moving at night! It has a small joint between the leaf and stem, light moves the joints and as a result it’s leaves open and close with the light. As a member of the Marantaceae family, Calathea Lancifolia is an active plant which undergoes observable nyctinasty, the process of foliage reacting to the daily light cycle.
Calathea Lancifolia or Rattlesnake Plant likes diffused, indirect light, in a humid environment so kitchens and bathrooms are ideal along with regular misting and your plant will thrive. Wipe Calathea’s leaves with a damp cloth to remove dust, so that it can breathe properly. This plant is safe around children and pets.
The Rattlesnake Plant has lance-shaped, pale green leaves with dark patches either side of the midrib and deep purple underneath. It enjoys weekly watering throughout the warmer months allowing the soil to dry before watering again, reduce this schedule during the winter months.
Calathea Plants are tropical plants, often grown as houseplants for their beautiful, brightly coloured, upright, ovate leaves. There are over 300 different types of Calatheas, many being hybrids created by tissue cultures. Indoors, a Calathea is a table plant or short bush that rarely gets bigger than 60cm tall and wide. Flowers, if produced, are white, small and formed in spikes.
Dos and Don’ts after receiving the plant
- Do not re-pot the plant immediately after receiving. We’ve taken care of that with better pot and rich soil.
- Keep the plant in indirect sunlight for 3 to 7 days.
- Always check the soil moisture and keep the plant hydrated all time. Do not over water it.